Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Some background on me and what we're doing.

Hi ALl;

I've included the body of an e-mail I just sent to someone that is interested in printing additional copies of wmy scrounging book and printing my pump plans. He's also interested in promoting them on Amazon and Natural Builder's sites! Yahoo! I need the confidence to 'cut the cord' from my old teaching job and this might be the motivation to just that.


I wanted to keep the book an 'easy reader', but am very willing to take suggestions and make
corrections. My in-laws just returned my 'gift' copy with a couple of hundred suggestions for
improving the consistency, spelling, grammar, syntax, format, pagination, etc.,
(both are retired teachers) and if it improves the clarity of the book I'm all for it! Your suggestions
would also be helpful and welcomed. I would like to have some broader advertisement for the
book and if you are willing to do the fronting to amazon, etc. I'm sure we can work a deal.
Back Home Magazine just sent me a contract for an article I wrote called "The King of Scrounge",
Richard Freucenberger is one of their main editors and he's trying to review the book and sell it
to Chelsea Green or New Society....he's had a rougher version for over a year now, which is why
I self published.

I'm trying to get outy of the public school teaching business and books and articles areis one of the
ways I'm beginning to make this transition. I have outlines and more for a dozen books and several dozen
articles. Most of them are on self-reliance topics. We do practice what we preach. Our home is self
built (along with three other homes on the property), our intentional community is off-the-grid, and we're
at around the 40%-50% mark for producing our own food. We've expanded from a really big garden
to a small farm (orchard and 1600' of drip irrigation went in this past Spring). I'm beginning to be 'heard of'
with my lectures, writings, appearance on the Science Channel's "Invention Nation" show on home made
wind turbines and articles in the newspapers (check out "The King of Scrounge" article in the on-line
version of the Syracuse Post-Sandard October 10, 2008), radio interviews, etc. My friend, Rob Roy,
warned me about the need to self advertise to get the ball rolling on this kind of home business.... indicated
that I'd have to hit a certain level before my programs became self supporting and an entity unto themselves.
It feels like I'm getting clost to that point. Time will tell.

Thanks for reading my rants! Have a great day! -Jim-

2 Comments:

At 2:04 AM, Blogger kbcmdba said...

FYI - I attempted to utilize the archives on your blog, but was frustrated that none of the archive links I tried worked. You may want to contact blogger to learn how to fix this. Please moderate this off the blog :-)

KB

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

Hi Jim, I too just saw you on Invention Nation and was mesmerized. My family (husb, 10 yr old daughter and I) live in South Texas on approx 3.5 acres waaay out in the country in the middle of NOWHERE. I was soooo charged up after seeing your home and that you can build your own Wind Turbine that it set a fire in me to learn more.. My husb & I want desperately to live independant from the Grid. We get our energy and water from Independant Co-ops. We had a VERY successful garden this year & vow to do more. We have started a compost pile but we desperately want to kick things up. If you ever answer any of these blogs, maybe you can give me some advise on where to go to get info on being dependant on ONLY us. What we have to do/build to get energy, H2O & expecially on how to add on to my home scrounging for the materials. We desperately need more space. I am polish & was taught how to be pretty self sufficient by my grandma. We lived on a farm where we went to the city 2 times a year for supplies. We made EVERYTHING, including soap, butter, mayo and Mustard. Since she passed away, I have forgotten alot and need to be re-taught... I am willing to eat only what we can grow and I am willing to try & build anything that will assist us in our goals.... I wish there were more folks like you teaching other how to rely only on themselves for their energy, water and so on... Thanks Jim for being a pioneer in this area.... Blessings from Devine Tx
Debbie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home