Saturday, May 09, 2009

Information you'll need to know about your well

Hi;

I've already gotten several inquiries from people about the deep well hand pump. I was remiss in not telling the readers about what they have to know about thier well/water supply to see if my densign will fit the well. First off the lower works of the pump are around 2 1/2" in diameter. Secondly you will have to know the the diameter of your well pipe/hole. Most drilled wells are 6" or 8" in diameter (at least around here- most seem to be 6" in diameter). Roughly you have about a gallon of water per foot of well depth as your 'in ground reserve'. You should be aware of your lowest "static" water level: this is the depth that the water and air meet. The well I have the hand pump in varies from 8' below grade (ground level) and 50' below grade. You should know your "well's rate of recovery". We're happy around here to get 3 to 5 gallons per minute. Many wells get a lot more than that. The hand pump is good for pumping around 2 gallons per minute, so I will not, in theory, run my well dry. The speed testing was done by a hyperactive 9 year old. I'm working on a simple way of frost protecting the well lines and pump. The easiest way of doing that is to drill a hole (a small one- 3/32" is where I'm going to start) around 5' down the drop pipe. This will allow the water in the upper works of the pump and first
few feet of the drop pipe to drain back to below the freeze level in your area.

Keep the questions coming to jsjuczak@gisco.net. Thanks, -Jim-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home