Thursday, February 04, 2010

Bug out bags and the camping mind-set

As I've stated before I'm a bit paranoid...I worry about things like economic collapse, natural disasters, EMP attacks ( an electromagnetic pulse attack involves the setting off of a nuclear bomb or bombs several hundred miles up above the earth...no extreme amounts of radiation, but the radio waves generated by this kind of device destroys all exposed microelectronic circuitry...nothing from a computer to a car to a municipal power/water system will be functioning in the areas affected....there's not a lot of protected back-ups out there), and natural/man-made pathogens.

What to do? We are attempting to build up the systems here at Woodhenge to become as self-reliant as possible AND to teach these skills to any and all interested. My wife calls this the "camping mind-set" - one of the reasons we got together 31 years ago was that we both liked camping in tents...the mind-set of making your home in the woods and carrying in what you need necessitates for a week, or so and then dealing with the situation of compensating for what you forgot makes you flexible in a way no other event can.

I'm almost finished with 6 "Bug Out Bags". This takes the self-preparedness away from our homes...these are surplus Swedish military back packs from Sportsman's guide or Major Surplus that were on sale for $8 or something ridiculously low like that. I've filled each of these packs with a general 72+ hour's worth of supplies for a 'generic' person. I need only a few more items to complete each kit. Shelter tarp, sleeping bag, flashlight, fire starting stuff, mylar blanket, wool hat, personal hygiene kits, and lots more. I thought about what would be necessary in a Katrina-like situation in our neighborhood or the devistating brush/forest fires that happen on the west coast where you and your family is only given a few minutes to 'get out of Dodge'. Images of (stupid) people fleeing in pajamas - what? they couldn't listen to the news or smell the smoke? - scare me. Becoming a refugee is about the worst situation I can think of being caught in. Most of the commercial kits sold for 'emergencies' are 24 or 48 hour types and do not have much more than food and flashlights.

I wanted to be able to set up a campsite and last for a while. The food portion I'm working on right now. It is a combination of off-the-shelf products and some freeze dried stuff. I'm vacuum bagging things like instant oatmeal in individual packets, dried fruit, instant coffee, minute rice, and instant packaged soup mixes...not the best stuff in regards to organic and chemical free, but quick, easy and packed with calories. I have a Swedish military stove, in each pack, that runs off of dry gas available in any auto store or hardware store...cooking pretty much involves heating water and dumping it over the dried goods.

When the six kits are finished I will publish pictures and lists of what I have included. As a side thought this isn't an expensive kit...the backpacks are just one of the things I picked up from the surplus market...I don't think I'll have much more than $100 in any one completed bug out bag.

Again, if you have questions, critiques or more insight feel free to contact me at: jsjuczak@gisco.net Have a safe day! -Jim-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home