Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Enroute to Afghanistan

Jim began his trek on Oct 7, flying out of SYR to Chicago, then to Istanbul and Kuwait.

From: jsjuczak@gisco.net

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011

Hi; I'm at Ali Al Salim (US military base at Kuwait). Temporarily quartered in contractor billeting...a big tent 20 x 40 with about 10 other contractors...it is a lot like boy scout camp with a hint of Camp "O". I'm beginning to figure things out on the layout of the camp and have gotten my "Eagle Cash Card", eaten at McDonalds and slept for a couple of hours. Buying sheets and a lock for my temporary locker at the PX are next. Then a nap and back to the travel tent for my passport and travel orders.

It is blazing hot here ...got to be in the 90's. The lack of a CAC is only a small hinderance. Okay, the cloth bag was useful...I tore one of the straps as we were loading the gear onto the transport from Kuwait airport to Ali Al Salim. I have the internet cafe card for $5 an hour and wish I could type faster. If I don't leave tonight I will enter something on the blog.

All of my flights were uneventful and there were no problems with baggage..other than the damn vest was like a boat anchor! I literally walked up to the baggage claim area in Kuwait and my bag came out of the carousel.

My eagle cash card is useful for getting everything. I loaded the dinars and $200 onto it for now.. Food and stuff on base seem very reasonable...i.e. big Mac meal is $5.

I'm really groggy and have a slight headache, but with 30+ hours traveling I expected worse.

I'll try to retell the last leg of my civilian trip [Istanbul - Kuwait]...I was befriended by two girls from Kuwait...one was a pretty black girl who spoke no English and used me as a 'dad pillow'. The other was a Kuwaiti girl coming home for a visit from going to dental school in the States...we had a great conversation about camping and self-reliance...her name started with a 'G' and she will be sending a package with some sticks in it...the black girl was using a stick to clean her teeth and i found out it was a specific kind of stick...

All for now! -J-

Kandahar AFG, 10/10/11 8:11 AM texts:

Hi guys, I haven’t made it to Pasab yet. Still working on an i.d. for me. I am @ Spartan ROCsomethingoranother in a containerized housing unit. No windows, but great ac. Pasab is 4 hours by bus or 45min by plane...love Jim DAD

10/10 8:23 AM @%@ Hi, I’m frustrated, but according to other contractors and army guys I am setting a speed record. I’ve got to get faster at this mail thing… still using one finger. I hope to get permission to take pic. Now I have to read the phone manual! .. -j

10/10 9:49 PM @P%@ Just waking up. I’m still at the main base in Kandahar. Sorting out paperwork for my base id and 45 min flight to Pasab. I will text if I am flying today. Everything takes time. hurry up and wait. rain and cool here… it really is home weather.. not what I expected. Noisy with planes and vehicles. love, j

10/10 10:03 PM @P%@ No word from Kim. she’s just back from r & r though. I know what has to be done and not much can speed it up. got to wait for the right people and rides to line up. I will call her today. All for now, love, j

10/11 5:09 AM @8%@ Hi dear, I just turned off my roaming charges and wanted to see if it changed the billing. Long day doing nothing.. I think I just met my terp. [interpreter] Probably flying out tonight. Have a great day. love, j

10/11 5:17 AM @8%@ My room is comfortable. I eat at a mess hall...like college, but more choices. Tell Fred thanked for the movies. Any problems at home. love, j

10/11 10:30 AM @P%@ I leave in the really wee hours of the morning for Pasab. Love, j

Pasab 10/12/11 1:15 AM EST [9:45 AM Pasab local time] @8%@ Hi Dear and Lisa, I am @ pasab. Finally. Got a helicopter ride here.. it was fun. myers picked me up and within 5 min I am on my bed I am beat.. I have a 3 page blog entry.. whenever I can send it. love, j

10/12/2011 1:01:08 AM email message: Hi Dear and Lisa; I'm in my office area now...it is just after 9am. It has been a whirlwind. I need a shower and a nap. Kim and the guys are great! I've felt really anonymous until now. Even the Major recognized me and welcomed me to the base.

THis is really happening! I miss you all. … I'm in a tent with the 'team'. Kim just took me around the place. We have a lot of projects that they are interested in having me do with them. It really is whatever I want to do.

Keep me posted on how things are going in school and home!

Have a great day! Love, -Jim- -Dad-

10/12 2:52 AM @8%@ Okay, this texting stuff isn’t all that bad. I have had my shower, tour and I’ll get my fob i.d. today. we have an irrigation meeting this afternoon. we might even get the secret security clearance paperwork continued… I’m in an article tent that has great air conditioning. No windows though. The shower was wonderful. I'm running on fumes and probably going to bed early. Have a great day! Love, -Jim-

from Krista to all who want to write to Jim: please send it to his home address

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=1254

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home