Tuesday, April 27, 2010

On Zombies, camping and making things from scratch

Don't worry, I will tie these things together. I do like to read zombie books...I like to think of them as metaphors for any emergency situation. I've recently relistened to "World War Z" on my i-pod it is the first book I ever downloaded from the net. I am a bit slow to take on newer technologies. We bring our i-pods camping with us and have a solar charging system to keep them powered up for the duration...it sucks if it is cloudy. The survival situations you could face could be as bizarre as any zombie invasion...perhaps worse. At least you know how to take care of a mindless zombie...if you've read any of the books that is. Using the zombie metaphor is good practice for things that could happen, camping is good practice for the practical things you may have to do to survive and thrive. We're going camping on our favorite island in the middle of the Adirondacks late this coming June. We will be bringing some things to practice honing and developing new skills.

Our meals will be the ones we will publish as recipes for the bug-out bags mentioned in an earlier blog. I try to teach my kid, Lisa (13) a new fire starting technique on each of these trips...this time it will be true flint and steel fire making. We do so much for ourselves that it is easy to forget that others don't can, or make bread from scratch, or grow any of their own food, but even we feel ill-prepared to face an uncertain future. We wonder if we've got enough of the simple things down to face the problems that could arrive without a moment's notice. We'll keep searching out the 'leaks' in our boat and trying to plug them with new skills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home