Friday, January 13, 2012

I'm Back!

This is the 'demo' Rocket Stove that convinced my class to come back for several days. I built it and then served them Red Zinger tea! This is a fun response to the gallons of local chai tea I was served any time I was with a group of more than one local. Note; One of my students is playing with the snapper puzzle in the background!

My class is looking at my photo album from home...
Me driving an MRAP (I do not know what it stands for, other than really heavy club cab pick up truck...20,000pounds heavy!). My beard has since been trimmed back a bit.
Hi All;

I am back from Afghanistan and have recovered from my jet lag and other mental roadblocks that happen when a person goes from living in a tent with 9 soldiers and into a nice home. There is an article on my adventures that was published in the Watertown Daily Times in the link above, if you are interested. My time in Afghanistan is precious to me in that it taught me a terrific amount of things...everything from how to talk and think like the US Army to how a lot of the 'other half' of the world lives.

My level of paranoia on what could happen to 'our world' if one of the simple strands that keeps us functioning as a cohesive society is still VERY HIGH! I just reread "One Second After" (author:William R. Forstchen) and it confirms my beliefs...I also just rewatched "Zombieland" which is a cute movie, but makes the important point of having 'rules'; one of which is to 'enjoy the little things in life' and another is "Cardio" (the ability to run away).

The things in Afghanistan the the locals impressed me with is their appreciation of little things. One of the gateways into teaching the "Local Nationals" was the fact that I brought simple lessons and told them that they already knew most of what I was teaching...just that I had a different way of applying what they already knew. I also gave out simple teaching toys...During the first lesson I gave the participants a 'ferrous-cerium' rod- one of those spark rods used for starting fires (I get mine from USA Knifemaker Supply - usaknifemakersupply.com) and showed them how to use it...again a 10 second lesson that changes how you look at fire...more on fire later. I also gave them one of the 'rubber band/snapper puzzles' that were made by Anthony Cronk's students at South Jefferson...waited the appropriate amount of time after demonstrating it and then told them the 'secret solution'. It is all about timing...they loved it and it was almost too much for what is known as 'set-induction'...they played with the puzzle for days!

My fascination with fire has lead me to learn as many techniques as I can on how to start one. For years I used 'flint and steel' fire starting as a gateway lesson for my 7th graders. It is a good place to start (I get my flint and steel kits from Track of the Wolf- a primitive living supply house specializing in the technologies of 200 years ago). I recently resupplied myself with several dozen ferrous-cerium rods, but also got some 'permanent matches' and a 'fire piston' from the aforementioned USA Knifemaker Supply. The permanent matches are a kind of poor man's zippo lighter, but are completely waterproof! It is a keychain ready lighter that has a small container for lighter fluid and a rod with wick that is mounted in the container. You unscrew the 'match' and flick it along the ferrous-cerium rod attached to the side of the container and you get fire.

The fire piston is really neat. In this case it is a machined chunk of metal rod that allows you to compress air in such a way that a piece of char cloth is ignited and can be used to set fire to a tinder bundle. Google it if you are curious. I may also start to publish pictures on these techniques if I think there is an interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home