Sunday, January 01, 2012

Maybe my last blog from Afghanistan...or at least FOB Pasab


Jan 1, 2012 Maybe my last blog from Afghanistan...or at least FOB Pasab

Hi All;
The last days here have gone by in a blur. I started to get my area packed up...it is presently a disaster needing to have things put into their final traveling places. There are three packages of 'stuff', mostly clothes that I am mailing home. That will help make my travels easier. Travel time is uncertain. I have a truck ride from FOB Pasab leaving at midnight today; it will take me to KAF (Kandahar Air Field). We're trying to get the connection from KAF to Ali al Salim AF base in Kuwait done today, but it is a matter of good chance if the proper connections are made. I will be traveling with SPC George B. one of the great guys from my team and he will help to smooth the way for me. I anticipate at least 24 hours at KAF and then a 3 hour military flight to Ali al Salim. Then it is a matter of catching a military bus ride from Ali al Salim to the international airport in Kuwait City. At some point I have to get my tickets to travel as a 'real' person from Kuwait to Syracuse. I'm going to buy the ticket on-line as soon as I have a confirmed schedule...wish me luck with that.

We had our class on Saturday and got the final connections made with the stove at the NGO Center. It was a little difficult because the bazaar was under 'lock-down' due to the threat of a car bomber. Nothing happened, but it slowed down the students from getting to us. Also the CSD workers were not there and we had to hand carry the dirt and water for the cob/adobe to do the finishing work. We did start a fire in the stove and proved that it at least works for a short run. I will be posting pictures when I get the chance. It was a good group.

Today is a sort of break day for the team- they are tasked with helping me to finish things up here and help me to get on my way. George and I went over to the "Resiliency Center" to bring in the New Year. We watched "Happy Gilmore" and brought in the New Year with hats, masks and noise makers...the daring toasted with Becks NA beer...I chose water. In all a mellow way to welcome the beginning of both the year and my trip home. I will take at least one of the team to the ANA shipping container/home and discuss how to build a stove to heat it...we're also trying to have the stove for their cooking converted from an open fire to a rocket stove...it is a hard job convincing them that this is a good thing...tradition is tradition.

My recent experiences with the 'real' people of Afghanistan have helped me gain a sense of hope for their future. Kandahar is a poor region and the birthplace of the Taliban. In bad terms it has a lot of 'trailer park trash' people living here, unfortunately, these are the people that have the biggest connection with the US military...they are the easiest to get to come onto and near the base for menial labor. Until now my opinions were more leaning towards the negative as to the possibility of Afghanistan standing on its own after we leave...now I feel somewhat better. The country has the mineral resources to make it very rich if they could get their acts together politically and tribally. There is still a lot of graft and power plays that leave a lot of people not getting their fair share of money, status and influence.

Anyway, thank you for following my 90 day diatribe and I would appreciate any comments you have on anything I have done or you think I should have done. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Love, -Jim- jsjuczak@gisco.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home